TEAM

TEAM

COACH

COACH

Monday, September 9, 2013

John Tanner Sprint 2- September 7, 2013 2nd OA and 1st AG

I went into this race with no expectations since Louisville was 2 weeks ago.  I had done Tanner 1 earlier this year and I absolutely love the course.  I drove down morning of and the great Mavic rep threw me on some demo wheels as I set up transition!  It was great seeing so many familiar faces here!  I walked down to the swim start talking smack with Brian Wortham, a fellow ALL3SPORTS teammate.  I worked over to my normal swim start area up front and the count down started....

I tried to actually kick on the swim this time.  In Ironmans, I never kick to save my legs.  But why not, it was a sprint and I was a swimmer.....I should be out close to the front.  Kicking helped a lot.  I turned the first buoy in second and on the first guys feet.  Working our way around a pack of four of us hung together as the front runner put about 10 yards on us.  I exited the water with the other four guys all about second place.

I was in and out of the transition pretty quick choosing to put my shoes on first and run out.  I past 3 guys in transition and jumped on the bike.  Peddling out of the park tightening my shoes down and spinning I passed another.  There were now only two ahead.  I saw another within reach and he did not seem to be gaining on me.  I down shifted and hammered.  I usually find my legs dead trying to go so fast in only 13.8 miles.  Today they felt great and I was moving steady.  I caught the second place guy at mile 4 or so as we hit a climb.  I caught a glimpse of Tillery, the first place guy, on a straight away and decided to hammer for 5 minutes to see if I could gain some ground......NOTHING.  HE WAS STRONG and gained 2 minutes on me and was out of site!  Solid.  I was feeling good though and holding Dan off who had moved into 3rd.  I loved the Mavic wheels!  After dodging a cop who was in the middle of the road on my turn into the park, I prepared for the 5k frolic!

I hit T2 knowing I would need to run quick to maintain 2nd Overall.  I got out as quick as I could considering I have to have my socks:)  I just ran hard and did not look back....I knew Dan was close.  The hills burned and as I approached the turn around I saw Tillery and knew he was out of reach.  I made the turn and saw the gap back to Dan.  I had it in the bank as long as I didn't trip over myself...which actually happens far too often :)  I pushed hard just in case to the line.  Done!

I love these races and they put on such an amazing series!  I will be back, Lord willing, year after year.  Plus the material the shirts are made of this year rocks....my wife has stolen them all!

1hr 8min 6secs


No comments:

Post a Comment